Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Simple Request ?!?

It all started out with Kaitlyn asking for a My Little Pony party for her 5th birthday. I thought, okay, I can do a my little pony cake. In fact it will probably be one of the easiest ones I've done. Not in the least! After I started doing my research to find the best way to make one, I quickly realized it was easier said than done. You could buy the Wilton Pony pan for like $35, but what's the point if you're only going to use it once? Then a bunch I looked at were just a cake with ponies set on top, or elaborate pony houses made out of fondant, but since I believe that cake should be edible, and let's face it fondant just isn't, I quickly ruled those out. That left one option, making my own. Once again I was feeling rather confident. I had done some pretty cool cakes over the last couple of years (excuse me for bragging a little bit),
Here is the duck cake from Katilyn's first birthday. I did have help from my mother-in-law for this one, and a duck pan complete with directions. Kaitlyn's second birthday was Mickey Mouse, and my sister helped with this one.
Third year was a Little Einstein's theme, ergo a rocket cake. I did this one by myself.


Her fourth year she wanted princess. This was probably the coolest, but by far the easiest one to make. Did this one myself to.

Now we are to this year. I went to Michael's and bought a 12x18 inch pan, since a regular 9x13 was not big enough. Then I had Aaron draw me an outline for the pony, since my would end up looking like a stick figure. Then I placed the outline on my finished strawberry cake (and just f.y.i. it took three cake mixes to fill that pan!), then I cut out the shape and set to decorating. 2 1/2 hours later I'm finished. I'm sure Kaitlyn will point out that rainbow dash actually has a blue body instead of pink, but oh well. I did the best I could. It is far from perfect but I think it looks like a pony. What do you think?? I'll post pics of the pony part tomorrow!







7 comments:

Nathan and Sarah said...

It looks amazing! I am so impressed!!! Way to go!

Cindy said...

My sister Wendy can't keep up a blog so she told me to check yours out to see what was happening in her life. I love the cakes. I am impressed with your cake decorating skills and it looks exactly like My Little Pony!

LisaJ said...

Well, Em, it passed the test. I showed the picture to Kate and Livi, and they both yelled out "pony!!"

If it's obvious to 2 year olds, it MUST be a fantastic cake!! Good job!

Jessica said...

Wow, I'm very impressed! I think it looks great! I should have called you up for Landon's Little Einstein's birthday party a few months ago! We definitely need to get together soon! My kids are all sick right now - not fun!

Angie said...

Looks like a My Little Pony to me and I should know because I loved them when I was her age. Fantastic work! Good thing I just have little boys still. They don't care. At least not yet, anyway. I don't know if I could be as creative as you.

Mark and Karen said...

It turned out great! My girls had a blast by the way and they said the cake and everything else was so good. Thank you for thowing such a great party.

KelliAnn Christensen said...

I am impressed. It looks like the real thing to me! I think all of your cakes are amazing.